31 January 2022 news
Akvaplan-niva has a vacancy for a permanent research position in acoustics. The hired candidate will work on projects with focus on methods for analyzing large acoustic data sets using modern techniques. Akvaplan-niva is rapidly extending its data collection capacities using autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) and new imaging technologies and acoustic platforms. Efficient use of the growing data stream is important to enhance our understanding of the marine environment and possible impacts of human activities.
The workplace for this position will be in our office in Tromsø or Trondheim, Norway.
- Acoustic modelling
- Broadband acoustics
- Develop research proposals
- Project management
- Reporting and publishing
- PhD with significant mathematical skills and with specialization in underwater or fisheries acoustics.
- Strong skills in acoustic modelling, e.g. analytical and numerical modelling of back scatter from marine organisms.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as a researcher.
- Excellent skills in English, both written and oral.
In addition, the following qualifications are desired and will be given weight
- Knowledge of Norwegian language will be an advantage
- Experience with Python or MATLAB
- Experience in working with broadband acoustics
- Knowledge of acoustic transducers and experience in their use
- Field work and research cruise experience
- Knowledge of marine ecosystems
- Good implementation ability
- Team player
- A challenging job in a development-oriented, flexible, and expanding company
- Teamwork with skilled colleagues in an international research and consulting environment
- Opportunity for professional and personal development
- Competitive conditions
- Flexible working hours